Monday, December 30, 2019

Lights Out For A Summerville Legend--Extinguished By The Hand Of Progress

near Sigma Road
A half a century ago, when I-26 construction began along the outskirts of Summerville, a story emerged that the resulting roadwork coaxed a ghost from the disturbed ground. An overpass bridge was under construction to reconnect the severed stretch of road known as Sheep Island. It ran from N. Main Street to 176. Thus, began the era of the ghostly Legend of the Summerville Light. It is a story Washington Irving would have coveted.

Then, on July 28, 2015, I posted a photo of Sheep Island Road (locals call it Light Road) along with its infamous story on Facebook. The ensuing response was prodigious; irrefutably confirming the Legend of the Summerville Light was Summerville’s most famous and beloved ghost story. It profoundly captured the local’s imagination over the years, mainly the younger generations, driven by their impetuous nature to satisfy their insatiable curiosity to know. Some of those who responded were doubters, but overwhelmingly many were believers. If you would like to read some of the comments, click on this link: Summerville Light. You will find the responses quite interesting.

There are variations in its telling. The following is a popular version. The story tells of a woman whose husband was a night conductor for the Summerville railroad company. Every night around midnight, you could see her faithfully waiting by the tracks with a lantern. Upon seeing the lantern, the train would make a special stop to let her husband off, and the two would then walk home arm and arm. One night the train was late. When it finally arrived and came to a stop, the workers informed her of an accident. Her husband was decapitated. His head was never recovered. Although they buried his remains, she never accepted the fact that her husband was gone. So, she went to the tracks every midnight with her lantern and walked up and down, waiting for him. Out of courtesy and compassion, the train would stop to tell her of the accident, but as time passed, it became too painful to recount it, and the train no longer stopped. People began to think she was crazy, but she continued this nightly ritual until her death. Even after the train was gone and the tracks eventually removed, the belief remained she still walked with lantern in hand, waiting for the train and her husband’s return.

If you go to where the tracks once were on Sheep Island Road just before midnight, you can hear the usual sounds of the night, crickets chirping, tree frogs croaking, and the breeze blowing through the branches. Then, at midnight, the sounds suddenly cease for some odd reason, as if a presence has suddenly quieted them. Then you see it. Usually, it is far off, a light coming your way. If you stick around for it to get closer, it will chase you, and if you are in a car, everything suddenly shuts off. It has been the case for every person who has seen the mysterious light.

In the November 12, 1970 edition of the Evening Post, Sandra Baxley wrote in a first-person account, “Nothing can match the feeling of amazement when you see what you had not expected to see.”

She continued, “Directly in front of the car, at what might have been 200 yards, was an orangish light about the size of a golf ball. The darkness around it had a hypnotizing effect, and I moved my eyes to the right and the left. The color slowly changed to a bluish tint and may have become larger.”

Baxley said she was dumbfounded to learn only two out of her five friends had seen anything. Then, she said, the light reappeared. “This time, we all saw it.” She concluded, “We saw enough to make us keep our rain boots handy.”

Bruce Orr, a retired criminal investigator of Berkeley County and a researcher of legends and lore, has appeared on Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures. He wrote about his own experience with the Summerville Light in his 2011 book Haunted Summerville, South Carolina.

After a scary first encounter with the light one night, he related the occurrence to his wife, who didn’t believe him. He needed witnesses. The following is his second account.

“Back home, the disbelief continued. That weekend, I took my wife’s brother, who was in the Navy, and a friend who was in the Coast Guard out to Sheep Island Road. Both did not believe my story. I did the same thing, just as Johnny told me, and once again, I deliberately did not turn around. Sure enough, the light came so close that it lit the interior of the car green. It was the size of a basketball and hung in midair. As I listened to two grown men whimper, I was glad the seats in my cruiser were vinyl and prayed they wouldn’t test their waterproof capabilities. The light stopped about a car’s length away and burst into hundreds of firefly-sized lights that dissipated. We all started breathing again and went home. I never doubted Johnny ever again, and those two never doubted me again.”

Concerning his two experiences, Bruce Orr said this, “I cannot say that what I encountered on Sheep Island Road in the mid-‘80s was the ghost of the conductor’s wife, but it is definitely something I cannot explain over twenty-five years later.”

Remnants of the road as seen from Sigma Road
At one time, Sheep Island Road was a favorite place for young men to take their dates to park for a little secluded romance, only to make a harrowing quick exit due to the intruding light.

In time, town officials blocked the road to travel and posted no trespassing signs. The picture I took in 2015 verified that fact. Isolated and dangerous, the local police patrolled it regularly. Only the foolhardy daredevil would consider venturing beyond the barricading dirt mound.

The original barricades

One of the original no trespassing signs
Subsequently, the unstoppable freight train called progress once again changed the landscape around the same I-26 real estate and quite possibly has closed the chapter on the Era of the Summerville Light. The Nexton I-26 connector was constructed. The overpass leading to the dark, overgrown, and wooded hollow is no longer there. Only remnants of the once haunted stretch of Sheep Island Road remain.

As you enter the Nexton Parkway exit off I-26 to go north, quickly look to your right, you may catch a glimpse of the remaining tattered pavement. It briefly touches Sigma Drive and then crosses Nexton Parkway extending northward parallel to the new Del Webb Community and on into obscurity.


There have been no recent reports of the Light. Perhaps, the old widow finally realized the futility of being stuck in the past and extinguished her lantern, possibly forced to do so due to the area’s changes. Additionally, the generation it fascinated has gotten older and moved on.

The Light, as with the North Main Street Arch, the Pine Forest Inn, the Arcade Theater, and the Summerville Railroad Station, is gone but not forgotten as a growing southern town 23 miles outside of Charleston re-imagines itself as it closes one chapter to open another.

17 comments:

Bruce said...

Great article and thanks for including me. Just wanted to add that at that time I worked for Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office and I’ve never worked for Summerville PD. I still hope the old Light shows up on the doorstep of some of these new houses back there. -Bruce Orr

Bobbie said...

I didn't get to that part of sheep island but what part I did live in i seen a gray figure of what looked to be a soldier pass in front of my car about 200 ft. So did my passenger so I slowed down and looked for him until I thought back and realized it didn't have legs.it was then I remembered the stories and knew what I seen was not alive

Unknown said...

I remember the story like it was yesterday..All I know was I heard it over & over.IJS

Brandy Murray said...

I Totally believe the lengend and I have experienced my own frightful night as a teenager. It's true. Something and or someone was out there and it was heart pounding!!!! Thanks for this now I can let my son read this tho.

Wesley murl said...

She could request a home tour. Nexton has many wonderful home sites and walking trails for her!

Oldschoolgreg73 said...

We use to carry friends and girlfriends out there and have a friend waiting with a flashlight to jump out and scare them. I use to hunt on a parcel of land that backed up to that road and slowly got out of it. Haven't been down to Summerville or goose creek since my father passed away in 2014. I've been told it's been developed into a subdivision now but I still enjoy hearing about it.

Unknown said...

I lived at the head of sheep island road Summerville, from 1955 till 2001. Have seen the light and experienced many of high speed exits fleeing the light many times by those who dared to take that spooky ride at night.

Unknown said...

I saw the light as a teenager. It was an orange ball that was in the woods and half a second later was at the car window and chased us as we sped away screaming. It was not attached to anything-it was a floating orange glowing ball.

Mary Ann said...

Great story and remembrances. Have never seen the "Summerville Lights" myself, but have certainly heard the story.

Brittany & chance kingan said...

Me and my friend who passed away went down that road before nexton parkway was built in mid 2016 I don't think we saw a light because we couldn't drive into the woods not sure exactly where you have to be on that road to see it but by the woods and the pile of dirt a dog had appeared out of nowhere and disappeared

nursemomo said...

I went to see this in 2000 as a freshman at College of Charleston. I watched in disbelief as the older students were becoming visibly nervous. I didn't believe in any of this. I was wrong. The light showed up.. it became bigger as it came towards us. We squealed in fear as we sat on the grass on blankets. When the light was at its largest and closest to us, it just... dissipated. It seemed to glow harder and then shatter into fractals. I have been in awe of this ever since! It really is true!!!

D-Bo! said...

SPOILER ALERT: The “light” was actually a stop sign at the end of the road reflecting headlights back towards you. In 1997, my brother and I took some girls back there and were dumb enough to drive to the end of the spooky road even with the light getting larger as we approached it. Call in young curiosity or pure stupidity but the butt clinching fears quickly turned into unstoppable laughter as the stop sign slowly came into view. Shout out to all the girls I’ve taken out there. My move used to be slowly putting the truck in neutral, turning it off, and hiding my keys while the girls were locked in on the light. Then I’d scream, “Oh no the the truck shut off and I can’t find my keys, don’t worry I’ll save you. I’ll leave the rest to all of y’all’s wild imaginations out there. 😂
Case solved. 🛑 =💡 at night. You’re welcome
from David Bordner.

Anonymous said...

Ah light road Never forget. My encounter was in 2008 3 times i went back.

Anonymous said...

I saw the light approximately 100 ft in the woods, At first sight it was just below the tree tops , moving 1 direction slowly dropping, it stopped, I had a great look at it with my binoculars, it was about a 4 ft circle, with the outside edge was sharp, not like swap gas, It was a bright white light, it was like a fluorescent light,it didn’t hurt my eyes to look at it, it stopped for about a minute, changed directions and altitude and disappeared into the woods, there wasn’t a breeze that night either, this happened in 1986

Anonymous said...

I see it every night I live in them woods

Anonymous said...

My parents and their friends would go to see the summerville light in the 50's and 60's. My Dad told us the legend about the lady with the lantern looking for her husband who had been decapitated in a train wreck. A variation was that she was looking for her husband's head. If the light got over your car it would stall your engine. My dad said that they say it was actually marsh gas but he said marsh gas does not move the way the light moved. My older brothers took me and their friends to see the light in the late 70's. It was a very creepy, dark dirt road with woods on both sides .we saw a wild hog that my brother chased. The road was very muddy and the car slid off the side of the road, some young people in a truck pulled us out, then we all went up to a clearing, we all parked there. Me and all the girls stayed with our car and other vehicles and the guys went walking through the clearing into the woods. Finally all the guys came running back scared and looking like they saw a ghost yelling jump in the car, hurry it's chasing us, if it gets to our car we will be stuck here til morning. Then we all took off as fast as we could looking behind us as the light followed. True story.

ice queen said...

I went with my friends out there quite a lot when I was a teen. Only saw the light once and it was daytime. I was with a friend who also saw it. It was a semi-clear orb that bounced toward us. We did not have time to get too close as we got really scared and quickly got out of there.