Saturday, May 21, 2011

Piccolo Spoleto Festival Fun-Sand Sculpting Competition On Isle Of Palms

Everytime I vacation on the beach somewhere I can't help myself. I have an irresistable urge to dig around in the sand and sculpt something, usually hammerheads or sea turtles. One time, when I was staying at the quaint oceanside condo resort called the Lahaina Inn Resort on Fort Meyers Beach, I sculpted a human head with its hands sticking out of the sand. I added seaweed for hair and etched in the sand the words, "Help me." A couple walking along the shore stopped and asked me if I did it for a living and whether I worked for the resort as a sand sculptor. I slyly smiled and said no. Another time I made Mount Rushmore with Disney characters instead of presidents. I am also a Disney enthusiast on top of it.

The Piccolo Spoleto Festival begins May 27 and there are plenty of things to see and do, including a sand sculpting competition to encourage appreciation for art and the environment. It will take place on the Isle of Palms at Front Beach on May 28 from 9am to noon. Admission is free. Bring your shovels, buckets and sand utensils. Fun for the whole family. Cameras are encouraged. Hopefully the weather will cooperate because sand mixed with  large volumes of water don't adhere together well. Map location.

Other ways to enjoy the celebration of art are the exibits, both painting and photography. Piccolo Spoleto 27th Annual Juried Art Exhibition will showcase works of South Carolina artists. This year’s jurors are Alex Powers (painting/ 2D) and Rick Rhodes (photography). Charleston Visitor Center, 375 Meeting St. Admission: free. May 27-June 10; Daily, 8:30am-5pm. Map location.

Piccolo Spoleto Outdoor Art Exhibition will showcase the works of award-winning South Carolina artists at Marion Square, with free demonstrations each day. King and Calhoun Streets. Admission: free. May 27-June 11; 10am-5pm. Map location.

Jack Alterman Invitational Exhibition: Allende! will debut his documentary film featuring two Charleston artists and a longtime expatriate educator who have made San Miguel their home. Jack Alterman Gallery, 36 George St. Admission:  Free.  May 25-June 12; Mon.-Sat., 10am-6pm; Sun., noon-5pm. Map location.

Looking for tips on sand sculping click here.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Hi! Awesome blog post. Bookmarked your blog.

Tumby Bay