Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Spoleto Festival Kicks Off Friday And Displays A Wide Range Of Music Venues

When it comes to music I have always said, "If it sounds good, I'll listen to it". Now, I know that statement is rather subjective, because what sounds good to me may not necessarily sound good to you, but I do have a wide range of interest when it comes to music. I never really followed any particular group or singer. They all had their good ones and their not so good ones. There again, my criticism may be subjective.

One song that sticks in my memory and I find myself randomly thinking of from time to time, and this is for no apparent reason, is "Mellow Yellow" by Donovan. Another favored oldie "when I get drunk"(I just thought I would throw that in there because it is part of the lyics, I never get drunk-honest) from a Scottish group "I Would Walk Five Hundred Miles" called the Proclaimers. But I will have to stop there because there just is not enough space for me to list out everything I recall by such groups as Genesis, Moody Blues, Who, Eagles, Billy Joel, John Cougar became Mellencamp, Queen, and so on and so on. I have to interject that Country music was not a favorite of mine until it emerged out of the twangy stage. Oh, when I am on a cruise or the beach somewhere and there is something in the blender, Jimmy Buffet.

From May 27-June 12 Spoleto Festival and Piccolo Spoleto will be featuring music of various genres both international and local such as classical, jazz, and grass roots. So, there is plenty to choose from depending on your tastes or you just might want to broaden your range of interest. The festival is a great place to test the waters out.

Sarah Jarosz will be performing at College of Charleston Cistern Yard Thursday, June 2 at 9:00 pm. I personally haven't heard much of her music until I saw her name on the events list and checked her out. One of her releases that caught my attention was "Long Journey". She is billed as having a "haunting voice whose purity recalls Alison Krauss, mandolin and banjo skills worthy of a Grammy nomination, and songwriting abilities the envy of anyone twice her age." Tickets are $30-$40.

The Del McCoury Band will perform at Middleton Place Sunday, June 12 at 8:30 pm. Del McCoury is considered a bluegrass icon. The evening will end with a spectacular fireworks display. Alot of foot stomping here. Tickets ar $30. Want to listen to a sample click here.

Karrin Allyson will perform at College of Charleston Cistern Yard Friday, May 27 9:00 pm and Saturday, May 28 9:00 pm. She is not a newcomer to the festival. She is a celebrated Jazz vocalist. Tickets are $30-$45. Here is an example of her singing.

Early Bird Blues: Juke Joint Johnny & Drew Baldwin “The Harmonica Beast of the Southeast” will be at Mad River Bar and Grill, 32 N. Market St. Tickets: $11. May 27 at 5-7pm.

The Piccolo Spoleto Block Party: The Summer Frenzy! A night full of music, dancing, and good eats. Entertainment ranges from local bands battling it out, dance performances by Dancefx and Mufuka Works Dance Company and a DJ mixin’ up tunes from the 60’s to today’s hottest hits. It is all free. Marion Square, Calhoun St. and King St. June 4 from 7-11pm.

This is only a samlping. For all the music venues offered go to Piccolo Spoleto and Spoleto Fesival. See you at opening ceremonies May 27.

No comments: